Project Cherokee: Main Page
Sold: December 20, 2009
Project Cherokee started out from space contraints with my past Jeep. As much as I loved myWrangler Sahara, the space issue just kep coming up over and over. The biggest thing was when we went camping, and we could only bring half of our stuff.
So when the time came,I knew I wanted to stick with a Jeep vehicle because of their off-road prowess. As much as I liked the Grand Cherokee, I knew I couldn’t afford one. Also, the WJ had just came out and didn’t have too much in the aftermarket parts category. This led me to the Jeep Cherokee or XJ. I already knew what these vehicles could when; built up, so it was a fairly easy choice.
When I started looking for a Cherokee, used vehicle prices where high. This made me start looking at new vehicles. Needless to say, I had the dealer locate one for me with all the options that I wanted. I ended up getting several options that I really wanted, such as Up Country, towing package, tinted windows, cruise control, etc. Anyways, after some modifications, this is where I am at.
- Old Man Emu 2.5 ” lift kit
- BFG AT/Ko – 30×9.50
- Warn M8000 winch with ARB Bull Bar
- JB Conversions SYE
- Con-Ferr 4″ porthole roof rack
- IPF H4 and Magic J headlight upgrade
- Cobra 75 WX ST CB and Firestik antenna
- CD Changer
- Husky Liners
- Mopar factory subwoofer
- Garmin Streetpilot GPS
- Optima red top battery
- Sirius Satellite Radio
- Meyer TMP 6.5 Poly Plow
The XJ Project has progressed in several phases over the years. This section details what took place in each phase, as well as the rough timeline for each phase. This doesn’t cover every little modification, just some of the larger ones that were made along the way.
- Phase 1 – Ramsey grille guard with a Warn X8000i.(November 2000)
- Phase 2 – Con-Ferr 4″ porthole roof rack and Hella 500s. (April 2001)
- Phase 3 – IPF H4 and Magic J headlight upgrade with an upgraded wiring harness as well as a 3″ OME suspension lift. This stage also added BFG 30×9.5×15 AT/KO tires and a JB Conversions slip yolk eliminator. (May / June 2002)
- Phase 4 – Upgraded to OME934 front coils to give more lift in the front due to winch, etc. (January 2003)
- Phase 5 – Removal of the grille guard and winch to mount a Meyer TMP6.5 snow plow. (November 2003)
- Phase 6 – Removal of the plow to fit an ARB bull bar and a Warn M8000 winch. (April 2004)
- Phase 7 – Upgraded the tires and rims. The rims are stock Jeep Rubicon rims and 245/75/R16 Goodyear MTRs. (March 2006)
- Phase 8 – Adding on-board air. This is currently where I am at. (July / August 2006)